Skip to content
We wish to inform our clients that our offices will be closed in the afternoon on Friday, 21st June 2024 for our Team Building event. Our branches will be open on the morning of Saturday 22nd June 2024, except for the Gzira and Mriehel branches. Thank you.

Published on the 15th October 2019

Work Permit and Student Visa for Expats in Malta

Reading Time: 4 min read

Work Permit and Student Visa for Expats in Malta

Are you a non-EU national, planning a move to Malta? If you are looking to travel for a long duration of time, it would be ideal if you could get a worker’s permit, and if studying is your goal, then you would have to get that too. These will open a lot of opportunities for expats in Malta, and it is necessary to start your new life!

Worker’s Visa

Employment or worker’s licenses are issued by the ETC ( Employment and Training Corporation). These are essential in order to start working in Malta legally and without any trouble. These are also not applied by the job-seeker,- an employer will have to apply for the worker’s permit. When you are employed, make sure that you have all the documents in order. Be mindful not to start/continue working unless you have done so as if you are caught working without the permit, a lot of legal trouble will ensue – so make sure that your papers are in order! Employers will face hefty fines while employees will face deportation.

Employment licences are necessary for non-EU citizens who are looking to work in Malta, or any other country under the EU flag. 

Citizens from the European Union, as well as those hailing from member states of the European Economic Area or EEA and Switzerland, are not asked for the employment licence to work in Malta, but it is suggested that they contact EURES to double-check the requirements before coming to the island to work. 

It is advised that before non-EU citizens actually come to Malta, they find a job, or look up companies to send a CV and try to get as many interviews as possible. Since the employer needs to apply for the licence and not yourself, doing some research on companies in your vicinity that you can apply for is highly recommended. You should already have an employer looking to hire you, or who is interested, before actually coming to Malta.

It is good to take into consideration that Malta has a restricted job limit for third-country national workers (TNC). This means that for certain vacancies, the employer must first open the vacancy for Maltese nationals and people from the EU. If they fail to find someone who will adequately fill the position, then they can extend the vacancy to foreign people and later apply for an employment licence for them.

For any employer who will be applying for a third-country national, he/she must fill out an application form and submit it to the Employment License Unit. The documentation required comprises:

  • Application form
  • Job description
  • Testimonials
  • Copy of travel document
  • Copy of valid visa
  • One passport photo
  • Copy of any certificates
  • Cover letter by the employer
  • Any evidence if required that the job vacancy was first posted to EU/Maltese Nationals and Swiss

Student Visa

With regards to student visas, EU citizens can apply for this through the same process as people who are looking to travel or work. The visa is not needed for people studying or staying for under three months. Non-EU nationals are required to apply for the visa, irrelevant of the time spent in Malta. It is also suggested that non-EU citizens should apply for a Schengen visa because this will allow them freedom of movement. A lot of EU countries are close to each other, and if you are staying in one you will probably be visiting another, and this visa will create the ease and efficiency to do so.

Final Words on Expats in Malta

It is always an exciting time for expats in Malta who are looking to find a place to travel, live and/or study. This can be a beautiful time, a time for growth and a time for change but make sure that you are prepared. Ready your documentation beforehand, and if you are looking to find a job, make sure to be in contact with a few employers who are interested in hiring you before you arrive in Malta so that you won’t be stuck in a country eating away all your savings.

For non-EU students, make sure to apply for a visa while also applying for a Schengen visa, because you will probably be travelling to neighbouring countries for a weekend or even a week so make sure to be prepared! When applying for a visa or work permit you will be asked for Health Insurance. Our Health Insurance offers attractive rates to link with your student life.

GasanMamo Insurance Limited is authorised under the Insurance Business Act and regulated by the MFSA