Malta is famous for its summers. Days are filled with sunshine, people swimming to escape the sun, feasts and plenty of fireworks. There is a lot of heat, and this is why certain items become important, like the sea, ice creams, and anything that is cool, cold, or frozen – like watermelons.
Watermelons are a favourite. They’re low fat, (which is an important consideration when you spend most of your days at the beach), contain a lot of nutrients, and – above all – they are the perfect way to cool your body temperature down!
Here are thirteen ways you can enjoy watermelons.
- Add them as a side to your meal. We are not suggesting you opt out of fries, but if you know you won’t be touching the salad, substituting it with watermelon allows you to add a refreshing touch to your salad.
- Make a delicious sorbet.
- Freeze them as ice cubes
- This may sound strange. Cut the watermelon into triangles with the rind attached, season it with lime zest and red pepper flakes, grill, and serve it as a dessert with Greek yoghurt.
- Add a quirky touch to a caprese salad – Layer watermelon and mozzarella, add tomatoes and basil, drizzle with oil and vinegar, and enjoy.
- Nothing beats a well-prepared watermelon salsa to compliment grilled pork or chicken. Place watermelon, jalapenos, cilantro, lime juice and onion in a medium bowl; stir well to combine, season with salt, and serve chilled.
- Inspire yourself from Mexican cuisine. Make grilled watermelon with spicy lime tortilla chips. Brush watermelon in oil, sprinkle with salt, and grill. Then combine with tomatoes and other ingredients to make the salsa.
- Feeling patriotic? Watermelon and feta cheese make for a wonderful red and white al fresco dish.
- If smoothies are what you favour, find a blender, add watermelon, fresh mint and basil leaves, top off with nectar and honey, and drop in 5 ice cubes (which can also be made of watermelon)
- Impress the kids (or the kid in you) with watermelon jelly
- Do you have a sweet tooth? Make jam! The recipe is straightforward, and the result is delightful.
- Make S’mores more fun. Sandwich watermelon between graham crackers, add a swipe of creamy cool whip, and you’re done!
So what are you waiting for? Take the healthier option this summer – ditch the ftajjar and dig in to a nice, juicy watermelon this summer!